Re: Viewing avi files

* alnesbit@optushome.com.au (alnesbit@optushome.com.au) [021002 09:32]:
> > Install mplayer :)
> > here : http://mplayer.nmeos.net/
>
> It's good that somebody made debs available because mplayer is the
> opensource project from hell, at least it was last time I looked.

The mplayer team reminds that any precompiled binaries are 'unsupported'
(whatever that means) because most of mplayer's configuration is done at
compile time.  They suggest that the only way to get mplayer to perform
decently on your machine is to compile it on your machine.  I've also
heard that the source tree includes a debian directory so that building
your own debs is simple, but I'm kinda talking out my ass because I've
never used mplayer ;-)

I just thought that info might be of interest to anyone considering
using precompiled debs instead of 'dpkg-buildpackage'ing them themselves.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/