Re: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

Oh, man, I thought this thread was dead...

On  0, Peter Whysall <peter.whysall@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > thread about the structure of the list itself, namely the use of
> > reply-to headers. Instead of responding materially to my points, one
> > poster, for example, made mention of my use of Outlook as a mail client,
> > apparently attempted to embarrass or attack me. This is, of course, a
> > variation of ad hominem. This argument is so common and recognizable in
> > the computing field it can be given a special name, let us call it the
> > 'ad technium' fallacy.
> Who was that? Let's expose the moron! Really, people. Lambasting posters
> for their choice of email client is so far beyond lame it's
> embarrassing. Some of us work in environments where we don't get to
> choose the mail client.

That 'moron,' is here and sticking his hand up.  I do not regret my
comments about his mailer, and I have already posted a defense of them
in this thread.  Perhaps you didn't feel the need to read my reply
before tagging me a "moron?"  Did you bother to read the original
thread where I made comment on his mailer?  If not, and it seems clear
from the, 'me too,' nature of your post that you haven't, how dare you
name me a moron, when your own opinion is based purely on hearsay?
What right have you to accuse me of having the mental development of
an eight year old[1] when you can't even be bothered to find out
precisely what I said and why I said it?  My comment was part of a
structured argument, and Josh took it out of its context in a rather
violent manner to accuse me of his so-called 'ad technium' fallacy.

[1]Look it up, that's what it means.

FYI, you can find my post here:

Craig Dickson also made a similar comment.  My defense of my comment
is here:

> Take care and stick around.

'Take care,' is good advice.  Take care before you blunder into
threads and make random accusations.

Tom Cook

"Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers."
	- Leonard Brandwein

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au