RE: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 06:47, Josh Rehman wrote:

> I agree with Jerry. Consider that as a new user of this list, I began
> with a post asking about ext3. I found the responses to be overall very
> helpful, although at first rather terse. Encouraged, I responded to a

Terseness is not always bad. I always try to respond to a politely
asked, well-structured question in kind; I personally think that people
who post only links to documentation are basically insulting people's
intelligence. We can all drive Google. A good example of this is the
thread about the SBLive. To someone saying "I can't get my SBLive!
working", a reply consisting solely of a link to the ALSA project is *no
help at all*. ALSA is a non-trivial exercise to set up - pointing
someone at it with no supporting material is a good way to waste an
inexperienced user's time.

> thread about the structure of the list itself, namely the use of
> reply-to headers. Instead of responding materially to my points, one
> poster, for example, made mention of my use of Outlook as a mail client,
> apparently attempted to embarrass or attack me. This is, of course, a
> variation of ad hominem. This argument is so common and recognizable in
> the computing field it can be given a special name, let us call it the
> 'ad technium' fallacy.

Who was that? Let's expose the moron! Really, people. Lambasting posters
for their choice of email client is so far beyond lame it's
embarrassing. Some of us work in environments where we don't get to
choose the mail client.

Take care and stick around.

P.

--