Text console flicker during kernel load

I've convinced my brother to try Debian and just set it up on his PC.
Unfortunately, from the time that lilo passes control onto the kernel until
the display manager login appears, the screen flickers on and off
continuously.  It stays on for about 1/3 of sec and then goes off for a 1/3
of a sec.  The video adapter is an ATI RagePro 3D AGP 1/2x.

X works fine, and I have 'vga=ask' in my lilo.conf, but regardless of what
display setting I choose the screen flickers.  I'm running 2.4.18 bf24
kernel, anyone know of a fix?

Neal.