Re: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

On  0, Josh Rehman <java.josh@verizon.net> wrote:
> > From: Jerry Gaiser [mailto:jerryg@gaiser.org]
> > This is the third time I've subscribed to debian-user. Each time I
> leave
> > in disgust because of the attitude of a few posters. Debian is *not*
> the
> > easiest distribution to install, but some of you folks are not helping
> > your cause.
>
> I agree with Jerry. Consider that as a new user of this list, I began
> with a post asking about ext3. I found the responses to be overall very
> helpful, although at first rather terse. Encouraged, I responded to a
> thread about the structure of the list itself, namely the use of
> reply-to headers. Instead of responding materially to my points, one
> poster, for example, made mention of my use of Outlook as a mail client,
> apparently attempted to embarrass or attack me. This is, of course, a
> variation of ad hominem. This argument is so common and recognizable in
> the computing field it can be given a special name, let us call it the
> 'ad technium' fallacy.
>
> The 'ad technium' fallacy is that the technology that one *uses* implies
> something about the correctness of their argument. So when someone
> attacks a user of this list for using Outlook (e.g., me) they are not
> considering that that person might not want to be using outlook, and, in
> fact, are using this list in order to stop using Outlook. (But not all
> criticism of technology usage is 'argumentum ad technium', especially in
> advocacy debates.)

I suspect that I am the poster who made comment about your use of
Outlook (I certainly made comment on *someone's* use of outlook in
that thread, so it was probably you).  The comment was not supposed to
"embarrass or attack" you, it was a comment on a specific feature
missing in Outlook.  My argument boiled down to 'you can't do that
because your mailer is broken, not because the list is configured
wrong.'  How am I supposed to make such an argument without commenting
on which mailer you use?

> Despite this, I have stayed on to read, and for each arrogant, petty and
> bullying user of this list (perhaps tolerated because of some small
> sliver of actual knowledge), there are many more kind, courteous and
> patient experts (revered not only for great knowledge but also for just
> being Good People) more than happy to pass on some of the enormous and
> intricate wisdom of the field.
>
> To those especially who consistently use 'argumentum ad technium' to
> bolster ego and effect an elitist posture, I say , ha! You just don't
> get it! This is a forum that admires reason and correctness, the
> ultimate antithesis of the logical fallacy you employ with such
> sophomoric glee.

I don't think I use such arguments frequently, and in the instance you
have quoted I think it is unfair to accuse me of it.  I agree with you
that such 'logic' is pretty pointless, but please actually understand
an argument before you label it 'argumentum ad technium'.

> Good day,
> Josh Rehman, Linux Guru Wannabe (LGW)
>
> P.S. If any Latin speakers out there could help me come up with a better
> name for "argument from technological elitism" that would be great.

I know but one jot of Latin, so can't help, sorry.  An FM can be found
here:

http://www.nd.edu/~archives/latgramm.htm

but I suspect this will not tell you more than you know already.  I
can't find a babelfish that supports Latin...

Tom
--
Tom Cook

Classifications of inanimate objects:  Those that don't work, those that break down, and those that get lost.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au