Re: Email (was Setting up Exim was Setting up Sendmail)

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 05:05:03AM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> user root? Gid? e bit?  Are You using maildirs?
> I think even for maildirs the owner of /var/mail/userme should be userme

Moreover when the owner is root, it's highly unlikely that a mer userme will
be able to read it.  So change it to owner userme and try again.

> And talking about defaults, I doubt debian's exim setup defaults to maildir.
> And I doubt it's default is to use ~user/mail as system mailbox.
>
> So I'm wondering, how did you manage to get those, e.g. what email server
> was installed prior to exim, did you change things yourself?

Oh, and could you share the output of:

  $ ls -l /var/mail/userme ~userme/mail

both prior and after you send userme some mail?
If the outpur differs, mail is delivered.

--
groetjes, carel