RE: Email (was Setting up Exim was Setting up Sendmail)

Carel,

No problem replying off list, and thank you for replying, period, I have two
machines one Windows 2000 Pro and one Linux. I will answer your questions,
below your questions below:
<============X==============>
[ sorry for sending this offlist too, but as you have email problems I'm not
  sure list trafic will reach you.  If it does, pray tell and I wil adjust ]

> I have Exim set up. I believe it is set up properly as I used the defaults
> mostly. I can send mail from my Linux box, but I cannot receive mail,
either
> internally or from the outside. The log indicates that mail is being

so it isn't set up properly:)  For starters, we need some more info.
You say you've used the defaults during exim install/setup.  Did you
choose the "Internet site" or "Satellite" or...

So "Internet" or what was the #1 choice.
<============X==============>
The next question is, how much do you need/want your machine to do:)
I normally prefer to have an ISP take care of all delivery and receiving
problems, but others really want to run their own full blown mail server.

In general what I am aiming to do is to get to the point where I have a self
sufficient setup running off my DSL line. I have a very low traffic site
plus one test site and one personal site, and will have only a few e-mail
addresses to service. My DNS service is being handled by VeriSign, and I am
only working with the test site and the personal site, BuddhaDust is being
handled by a hosting service. When I get the rest set up and running I will
take DNS on as well...right now I can use one less problem.
<============X==============>
> received and is being delivered no errors. I am using the Kmail e-mail
> client, which I have uninstalled and re-installed a couple of times just
> check. If there is a better client I am listening. I am sure this is

The email client just hands it over to a email server, and depending
on your configuration of your email client that could well be your
IPS's mail server.  To shortcircuit such debugging fun, you could try
to use "mail" (install mailutils or mailx if you're missing this one)
like this:

   # to check the mail gets delivered open a log window and enter your
passwd
   $ xterm -e su - root "tail -f /var/log/exim/*log" &

   # send a mail from and to your normal non root login
   $ echo just testing | mail -s test $USER

   # look at the log window, this should look like:

==> /var/log/exim/paniclog <==

==> /var/log/exim/rejectlog <==

==> /var/log/exim/mainlog <==
2002-10-02 02:20:10 17wXFK-0005dU-00 <= carel@mail.felnet U=carel P=local
S=319
2002-10-02 02:20:11 17wXFK-0005dU-00 => carel@mail.felnet
<carel@animus.felnet> R=smarthost T=remote_smtp H=schaduw.felnet
[192.168.1.1]
2002-10-02 02:20:11 17wXFK-0005dU-00 Completed

Little confusion here, but it comes down to the fact that the log reads as
does your last entry here.

I am talking about when I send mail from the Windows machine to the Linux
box, the linux box is recording such entries in /var/log/exim/mainlog and
similar entries for mail being sent from root to userme. I am just not able
to get them to show up in my email client. Again, I can send from Linux to
the Windows box no problem.

<============X==============>

> something silly, like permissions, but I do not know where to look next
for
> the solution. As far as I can tell the relevant directories and files are
> user me and group mail, not sure if it is correct or safe, but also with
> read, write, and execute for both.

I'm not sure what files you're talking here, but I sure hope your not
refering to e.g. files in /etc?

in /etc/exim
I have permissions for /etc/exim/ user root rwe; group mail re (is it Debian
or Krusader that gives permissions in terms of "show entries" "write
entries" "enter" why not use the numbers, or the usual rwx?)
for /etc/exim/exim.conf user root rw; group root r
for /home/userme/mail user me rwe group mail rwe
for /var/mail/userme user root rwe group mail rwe set Gid others re sticky
(?)

Again, thanks,
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds www.buddhadust.org