Re: Cannot find Ncurses when I run "make menuconfig"

>From Steve Waterman <steve@yurmail.com>, on Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 07:27:44AM -0500:
> apt-get install libncurses5-dev
>
> On Wednesday 25 September 2002 06:02, J.S.Sahambi wrote:
> > I tried "make menuconfig" with 2.4.29 and it says:
> > jsahambi@ws97:~/kernel$ make menuconfig
> > rm -f include/asm
> > ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> > make -C scripts/lxdialog all
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jsahambi/kernel/scripts/lxdialog'
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >
> >  >> Unable to find the Ncurses libraries.
> >  >>
> >  >> You must have Ncurses installed in order
> >  >> to use 'make menuconfig'
> >
> > make[1]: *** [ncurses] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jsahambi/kernel/scripts/lxdialog'
> > make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
---end quoted text---

FWIW - I had libncurses5-dev installed, and I was receiving an error
just like this.  I think it happens whenever ncurses chokes on
something.  In my case it didn't like being run under a Python wrapper
script.  You may want to make sure you have a health ncurses and
lxdialog:

$ cd /usr/src/linux    # your linux root directory
$ scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog --textbox ~/.bashrc 20 70

Substitute any text file for ~/.bashrc.  If you see a scrolling text
window lxdialog and ncurses are healthy.  Otherwise that's where you
start debugging.  Eliminate all wrapper scripts from running "make
menuconfig".  Try different terminals, including a plain tty without
X.

Hope that helps.
Steve

--