Re: woody xmms problems

* Matthew Weier O'Phinney (matthew@weierophinney.net) wrote:
> > Do you mean /dev/cdrom, or the mount-point that you'd normally use for
> > mounting a data CD?
> In my case, my fstab aliases /cdrom (the mount point) to /dev/cdrom (the
> device); I can actually specify either for a location to XMMS and get it
> to work.

Hmmm; mine looks like this: (or at least the line for the cdrom)
/dev/cdrom	/mnt/cdrom	iso9660  defaults,user,noauto,ro   0  0

> Hmmm... Wierd. It doesn't continue to spin?

Nope.  At first, the thought might occur that it's a SCSI issue, like
the drive can't be properly controlled, but then all ISO filesystems
mounted in there seem fine.  ~confused~

> The drive I use is mapped via ide-scsi, and this works fine. I'm
> wondering... do you have a cable that connects the cd audio output to
> the soundcard? 'Cause I think you need this for it to work properly.

Yes.  Although I'd been using the digital o/p run through xmms in my
last install of Woody (back when it was still in testing).

> Wait, though -- did you say you *could* listen to CDs with OSS, though?
> If so, something else is going on... not sure what.

I can mount and listen to mp3 cds, so essentially I still mount an ISO
filesystem.

> Ah. Okay. That makes sense. I use Gaim as well -- but since I don't run
> ESD and don't care if there's sound output, I never realized it had
> sound!

I'm not sure what else is unable to access sound hardware.  I wouldn't
know, since I can't hear it, naturally, hehe.

> That's what's on my wife's computer, and I did end up using ALSA. It
> wasn't exactly trivial to set up -- and I can't remember right now how I
> did it -- but it IS possible!  (said while listening to David Bowie off
> her computer...)

I'm looking quite seriously at moving to a 2.4.x kernel, I have some
other things to look at, like OpenGL weirdness w/ my dual-head setup.
This is a requirement for ALSA, isn't it?

Mike Pfleger
pfleger@pfleger-precision.com
(250) 479-0321