Re: problem with sound card from a newbie

Andy wrote:

I have the same problem and followed your directions exactly.
I even upped my kernel from 2.2.20 to 2.4.18 and included the Intel
sound option into the kernel but having same problems.
On bootup I get the following message:
Sound Server Message: Error while starting driver: device /dev/dsp can't be opened. (no such device). I have done chmod 777 on /dev/dsp /dev/dsp1 2 and 3 added myself to audio group. Here is my lsmod and lspci:

debian:/home/andy# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82440MX I/O Controller (rev 01)
00:00.1 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82440MX AC'97 Audio Controller 00:02.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 0c)

debian:/home/andy# lsmod
eepro100               17680   1

Can someone help?  I really miss my music.  :-(

Run "modconf" and see if there's a module available for the 82440MX. You'll either need such a module loaded (lsmod shows only the ethernet nic module loaded), or you'll need support for that chipset compiled directly into the kernel (which would probably only be the case if you've compiled your own kernel and included that support, which you seem to indicate that you've done). If the kernel sources or modules don't work properly, you may need to use an "outside" driver, such as the alsa drivers. I had to do this for my onboard AC'97 chipset (via8233).

Kent