Re: problem with sound card from a newbie

I have the same problem and followed your directions exactly.
I even upped my kernel from 2.2.20 to 2.4.18 and included the Intel
sound option into the kernel but having same problems.
On bootup I get the following message:
Sound Server Message: Error while starting driver: device /dev/dsp can't be
opened. (no such device).
I have done chmod 777 on /dev/dsp /dev/dsp1 2 and 3 added myself to audio
group.  Here is my lsmod and lspci:

debian:/home/andy# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82440MX I/O Controller (rev 01)
00:00.1 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82440MX AC'97 Audio
Controller
00:02.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller
(rev 01)
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 0c)

debian:/home/andy# lsmod
eepro100               17680   1

Can someone help?  I really miss my music.  :-(