Re: resize partitions using parted

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 10:53:03AM -0400, John F Davis wrote:
> Hello
>
> Anybody ever try to resize partitions using parted? Did it work ok?

Used it. Loved it. Broke it :-}. Read the docs and only use it as it
says. Heed the warnings about meddling with the root partition.

> I have a box which was setup with one large root partition and no /boot
> partition.  It was
> just supposed to be a test install, but it has grown into a working box and
> I would
> rather "fix" it to use multiple partitions than re-install it at this
> point.

If it ain't broke, why fix it? I had a system that ran fine for 3 years,
going from potato to woody to sid as I gradually moved towards a desktop
Debian.

Things looked just so good, I had to meddle with it and "optimize" the
partitions. I broke my system! I had to do a complete reinstall.

> Also, I see there is a tool called resize2fs, but I don't think that is
> what I want to use
> becuase I want to go from 1 partition to multiple partitions.  Furthermore,
> want to insert a /boot partition into the beginning of the disk.

I don't know anything about resize2fs, However, meddling with the root
partition will likely get you into a whole lot of trouble.

By the way, good backups will alleviate any suffering from realizing
your stupidity if you hose your system :-}.

-Andy