Re: help compiling everybuddy-0.4.3 on Woody

* Vineet Kumar (debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net) wrote:
> I take it you mean gtk-config and glib-config, yes?  Are they not in
> $PATH?  Does configure not just look in $PATH?  It should find them
> there, and the -config executables should generate the proper -I and -L
> flags for compiling and linking.

Hey, Vineet.

IIRC, configure made some stupid assumptions, like /usr/local instead of
/usr and ignored $PATH.

> <SNIP>  How about as an idea of how to proceed, try giving options to
> configure, something like "./configure --with-gtk-prefix=/usr/lib"

> What did you try setting GTK_CONFIG to?

I set GTK_CONFIG and GLIB_CONFIG to point to the location of the files
it wanted, those being gtk-config and glib-config, respectively.  It
didn't seem to help for some reason.  I echoed them, to make sure the
export took hold, like so:
	echo $GTK_CONFIG
and got a happy response, so I don't think I screwed that up =/

> If it's still just not working, how about downloading the debian package
> source (apt-get source everybuddy) and looking at how it's done there?

That makes me think of something, and pardon me please if this is an
obvious question.  Is there anything that stops me from grabbing the
source from unstable (assuming it's new enough) and trying to build it
on Woody?  And the stumbling block would be lib dependencies, I'd guess
based on my limited experience building packages.  Although I'd expect
that I'd have gotten errors about that when I tried to configure the
upstream source... (?)

Comments?  Thanks for the thoughts, btw; I really appreciate your help
with my stumbling around while learning some of these things.

Cheers,
Mike Pfleger
pfleger@pfleger-precision.com
(250) 479-0321