Re: XFree86 Problems [continues Woody Installation Problems II]

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 11:45:43PM +0200, Daniel Fabian wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> Sorry to bother you all again. As some of you told me, I setup a minimal
> system, and installed xfree86 and kde with apt-get. Now that the installed
> completed correctly, I'm experiencing my next problem: startx sets my screen
> into graphic mode and I see two stripes in gray (looks somehow like the
> screen does not support a that high color depth, but in windows I have 32bit
> color depth, and in xfree, I set it to 16).
>
> The according section in XF86Conf-4 is probably Device and the "Driver"
> option is set to "sis" (it's a SIS630 chip onboard). I have some experience
> with linux in a server environment, but I have absolutly zero experience
> with linux as desktop, so I can't really help myself. I read up on my laptop
> on linux-laptop.net (well, the google cache, it's down again), but did not
> find anything usefull.

I had similar problems with the xserver-xfree86 driver and the SIS630
onboard video in one of my systems.  If you check the driver status
document at http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status30.html#30, you will see
that for the SiS630, "there are some problems with this version."

I replaced that with the xserver-svga driver.  Yes it is 3.3.6 not 4.x,
but with this driver, I find the video to be quite satisfactory
(although I haven't tried anything really demanding.) This version of
the older driver works with the other components of X 4.x.

Hopefully a future version of the X 4.x driver will fully support the
630.

Bob