Re: plugger on woody/sid?

On 27 Sep 2002 16:59:44 -0500, Justin Ryan <justin@gnubian.org> wrote:
> Heya all..
>
> A while back one of my RH-using colleagues showed me a neat setup in the
> newer RH distros - mozilla would open word docs inline using abiword,
> pdf inline using xpdf, etc..  I found out this was using the 'plugger'
> package.
>
> I was happy to learn that this package was available in debian - but
> unhappy to find that it is only in potato (have to install libc5 as a
> dependency and I still can't get the potato package working).  Anyone
> using this package and/or know if it is being maintained and/or needs a
> maintainer.  This is the sort of functionality I'd like to have on my
> debian boxen :)

I read somewhere that this was pulled from Debian because it contains
components of Netscape whose license forbids distribution. If this is
correct, that means that Plugger will not be in Debian till the
offending components are removed. The potato version is now extremely
out of date, and probably not worth bothering with.

However, I got a recent source rpm (version 4.0) for Plugger (looks
like a Redhat one), compiled it as an rpm on my box, used alien to
convert it to a deb, and then installed it. Somewhat to my surprise,
this actually worked. :-). It is moderately useful, and worth
having. I like best the fact I can open postscript documents in galeon
now. Surprisingly, it actually works Ok with galeon.

I can send you the deb package if you like, or put in on the web, or I
can walk you through the steps to compile it yourself.

                                                       Faheem.