Re: X popup client sought

    "martin" == martin f krafft <martin> writes:

    martin> also sprach Vineet Kumar

    >> ssh -i <passphrase-less identity file> workstation xmessage
    >>
    >> The workstation allows it, and you don't have to open it up
    >> with xhost.

    martin> I can't get it to work. in a connection that's properly
    martin> X-forwarded (xclock shows up on the client display if i
    martin> invoke it on the sshd server), doing something like

    martin>   DISPLAY=:0 xclock

    martin> also yields the "Cannot open display" message.

That's because DISPLAY needs to point to where sshd wants it go! To
quote from 'man ssh':

    The DISPLAY value set by ssh will point to the server machine, but with a
    display number greater than zero.  This is normal, and happens because
    ssh creates a ``proxy'' X server on the server machine for forwarding the
    connections over the encrypted channel.

    >> Well, if you just want to do it the old-fashioned way, just
    >> using X and no ssh, how are you starting X?  Removing the
    >> nolisten tcp as you did should work if you're using startx, but
    >> from *dm you might also have to edit the appropriate config
    >> file (e.g. /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers or similar).

    martin> aha.

Ooopss....I just repeated this in an earlier mail. I should learn to
read the whole thread before responding.....

Cheers!
Shyamal