Re: X popup client sought

also sprach Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> [2002.09.26.2258 +0200]:
> Actually, that gets me to an even better idea: create a new FIFO just
> for this purpose, have syslog send just those messages to that FIFO, and
> start xconsole with -f pointing to it.

Not bad. But that would leave the window open all the time, which my
users don't want.

> Have you confirmed that X is not listening on tcp/6000? If so, that
> would certainly be a problem ;-) netstat and nmap are your friends.

netstat -nat doesn't show it. Yes, it's confirmed.

> > to how to enable that. removing '-nolisten tcp' from
> > /etc/X11/xinit/xserverc on the workstation and restarting X didn't
> > work.
>
> That oughta do it.  As an alternative, how about setting up an ssh key
> with command=xmessage and environment="DISPLAY=:0" in the
> authorized_keys file and let that take care of it?  Then the server just runs
>
> ssh -i <passphrase-less identity file> workstation xmessage
>
> The workstation allows it, and you don't have to open it up with xhost.

I can't get it to work. in a connection that's properly X-forwarded
(xclock shows up on the client display if i invoke it on the sshd
server), doing something like

  DISPLAY=:0 xclock

also yields the "Cannot open display" message.

> Well, if you just want to do it the old-fashioned way, just using X and
> no ssh, how are you starting X?  Removing the nolisten tcp as you did
> should work if you're using startx, but from *dm you might also have to
> edit the appropriate config file (e.g. /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers or
> similar).

aha.

friends help you move. real friends help you move bodies.