Help with Debian apt-get & Gnome2

Hi,
I recently converted to Debian from RH and though I managed to install Debian 3.0 rev0 on my laptop and could connect to the internet via DSL, I simply am not able to upgrade to Gnome2. Installation on my Presario 715US was my smoothest ever...but the 2.2 kernel, old gnome etc. make it painful for a recent convert <Groan!>

I tried several variations of :
$apt-get --fix-broken -t experimental install gnome2
but it throws up a whole list of dependencies :

gnome2: Depends: bug-buddy (>= 2.2.0) but 2.0.8-1 is to be installed
          Depends: gnome-control-center2 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libeel2-2 but it is not installable
          Depends: eog2 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: gnome-applets2 but it is not going to be installed
          <BLAH...BLAH...BLAH>
          Depends: gedit (>= 2.0.1) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: file-roller2 but it is not installable
          Depends: gnome-games (>= 2.0.2-1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

My sources.list looks like this :

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ ../project/experimental main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ ../project/experimental main

# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

# Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
/etc/apt/sources.list: unmodified: line 1

Any pointers anyone? Please reply to anand@myrealbox.com as I am not subscribed to this list.

TIA,
Anand