Remote package management?

I want to set up a rescue/administration filesystem on an extra
partition, but I would like to be able to install packages without
rebooting into that filesystem.  I already found that dpkg will handle
that with the --root option, but I would like to work at a little
higher level.  I haven't found anything similar in apt-get, aptitude,
or dselect.  Does anybody have any suggestions on other ways to
accomplish this, or are there other tools that I haven't discovered
yet?

Thanks.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org