Re: lost Xwindows after upgrade to testing [SOLVED]

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 12:10:37PM -0400, Kevin Coyner wrote......

> > On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 10:11:42AM -0400, Kevin Coyner wrote......
> > >
> > > After running nicely in stable,I put an entry for testing into my
> > > apt-get sources file, and did the update and upgrade, which then DL'd
> > > quite a few (100+) files to be updated.
> > >
> > > After a reboot to the console, I typed startx and got an error message
> > > as follows:
> > >
> > > (EE) No devices detected
> > > Fatal Server Error: no screens found
> > >
> > > My XF86Config-4 file looks exactly the same as prior to the upgrade to
> > > testing.

Solved:  My case is probably a bit special.  When I built up this box
with Debian, I installed a video driver from Matrox for my G550 dual
monitor card.  The Matrox install script apparently installed some
additional code that made my stock XFree v4.1 look more like v4.2, the
latter of which supports the Matrox G550 card.

Earlier today, when I did the upgrade to testing, my XFree was
apparently overwrote and returned to a more standard 4.1 version.  My
loss of X was restored by simply rerunning the Matrox install script.

Thanks, especially to Tom, for the help.

Kevin