lost Xwindows after upgrade to testing

After running nicely in stable,I put an entry for testing into my
apt-get sources file, and did the update and upgrade, which then DL'd
quite a few (100+) files to be updated.

After a reboot to the console, I typed startx and got an error message
as follows:

(EE) No devices detected
Fatal Server Error: no screens found

My XF86Config-4 file looks exactly the same as prior to the upgrade to
testing.

Two questions:

1. Any tips as to why my XF86Config-4 file isn't seeing my screens?

2. Is it possible to downgrade back to stable?

Sometimes I wish I didn't tinker with things as much as I do!

Thanks
Kevin

--

Kevin Coyner