Re: Pre-release Woody 3.0: 'Man' & Gnome Terminal not working.

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 12:36, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 12:31:42PM -0400, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> > Is there a central repository of what files have been created by
> > packages on the Debian managed part of the filesystem? I just ran into
> > the same problem a couple weeks ago over /usr/bin/blackhole, used by the
> > blackhole-<mta> packages, but also still around in the old xjokes
> > package (now moved to /usr/games after a bug report I filed.)
>
> Everything actually included in the filesystem archive of a .deb is in
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list. Files created by packages' maintainer scripts
> aren't registered (although support for that is apparently planned for a
> future version of dpkg).
>
> > Which also surprises me - I thought I should have had an "attempt to
> > overwrite file belonging to another package" with sawfish-pager - I
> > didn't see anything. Does dpkg wave off that message when it is looking
> > at symlinks?
>
> No, but it only generates the message if the file it's attempting to
> overwrite was actually part of another package (so in
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list). /usr/bin/pager is just created by
> update-alternatives, so isn't recorded.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Pity - with the number of packages on the go now and an all volunteer
team dealing with applications usually generated *elsewhere*, it is
almost certain to have collisions in some filenames, particularly
non-core names (people tend to remember names like "gcc", "vi" or
"emacs".)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org