Re: getting a new package into next stable revision?

Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org> writes:

> Josef Oswald <oswald@chello.at> writes:
>

>> Well why then did the Xemacs-version I pulled from _stable_ at
>> start-up display this message : debian-xemacs-version:  Symbols' value
>> as variable is void, while one from testing does not?
>> Or am I the sole person who encountered this strange problem?
>
> Well, taking note of the history of your Xemacs from over in
> comp.emacs.xemacs, I suspect that when going from Progeny to woody ie
> stable, you had some left-over gubbins, maybe config files or site-lisp
> stuff from progeny which was demanding the wrong variable - but having
> purged Xemacs in the Debian way you got rid of all that?  Or the upgrad
> from testing overwrote it?

Don't know, actually until now I used to compile a new version of
Xemacs, while the old one was still in place, as I found no hint in
the installation or other README's to remove a older version, if one
is installed. Most of the time I did not run into problems, once I got
rid of Mandrake because I didn't know what else to do :-)

Btw, in my other reply to you (Thanks Glyn :-) ) I mentioned a odd
behavior with a horizontal tool-bar.

I found the reason for this:
I had in ~/.xemacs/init.el this:
;; Here's a way to add scrollbar-like buttons to the menubar
		(add-menu-button nil ["Top" beginning-of-buffer t])
		(add-menu-button nil ["<<<" scroll-down         t])
		(add-menu-button nil [" . " recenter            t])
		(add-menu-button nil [">>>" scroll-up           t])
		(add-menu-button nil ["Bot" end-of-buffer       t])
after disabling this the annoying problem is gone....

thanks again for your input :-)

--
registered-linux-user # 134.818 at http://counter.li.org