Re: apt-get upgrade holding back packages

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002, Bill Morgan wrote:

> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 09:41:25 -0500
> From: Bill Morgan <bilmor@austin.rr.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: apt-get upgrade holding back packages
>
> On 9/21/02 9:21 AM, "Matthew Daubenspeck" <matt@oddprocess.org> wrote:
>
> > $ apt-get upgrade
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > The following packages have been kept back
> > apache apache-common bind9-host binutils dhcp-client dnsutils file html2text
> > libc6 libc6-dev libdb2 libdb3 libdns5 libfreetype6 libglib1.2 libisc4
> > liblwres1
> > libpng2 libssl0.9.6 libwrap0 logrotate mailx make mawk modutils openssl pppoe
> > tcpd wget whois
> > 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 30  not upgraded.
> >
> > I didn't change a thing and apt-get was working perfectly yesterday.
> >
> > Any idea what I broke?
> >

> You're running Testing (Sarge), right?   A logjam just broke and many
> Interdependent packages entered testing all at once.  You need to do
>
>   apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> to handle this situation.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Bill

PLEASE CC: dbt@cs.wcu.edu as I am not on the list.

I have a similiar problem, but I am running Woody, recently updated from a
pre-beta installation. I have 240 packages held back, and none of the
solutions suggested here works.

	apt-get dist-upgrade

still does nothing beyond giving a long list of held-back packages.

However,

	apt-get  install package_name

seems to work for individual packages. I tried a2ps and aalib.

Do I have to install each package by hand? Surely there an automatic way
to complete the upgrade from pre-beta-Woody to Stable-Woody?

David