Re: How to request specific IPaddress with DHCP?

* mdevin  [2002-09-21 22:42]:
> Hmmm, that is interesting.  But how do I change my mac address?  My
> ethernet card has this hard coded in its chip by the manufacturer.  I
> can't see how you can override that.  If you did, then the ARP system
> would break, right?

You can use ifconfig to change the MAC address quite easily on a
number of cards. You need to bring the interface down first, and
then the command is something like:

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:AA:AA:AA:AA

Where eth0 is the interface you want to change and 00:00:AA:AA:AA:AA
is the MAC address you want to give it. I'm not entirely sure what
this does to ARP requests, but I think the system is robust enough
that this doesn't break anything. This doesn't work on all cards,
and usually the changed address only lasts until the next boot.