Re: How to request specific IPaddress with DHCP?

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 09:47:13 -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 05:19, mdevin wrote:
> > Does anyone know if there is a way to try and force the DHCP server for
> > your ISP to give you the IPaddress you want?
> >
> > I am using dhclient as my DHCP client.  Basically, I want to try and
> > limit the possibility that my IPaddress will change.  In fact it just
> > changed and I want to try and get my old IPaddress back.
> >
> > Is it possible to get my IPaddress back somehow?  I tried pinging my old
> > address and it doesn't seem to have been taken yet.
>
> The only way to consistently get the same address from a DHCP server is
> to set up an address lease. Unfortunately, only the person administering
> the DHCP server can do that. As a client, there's really not much you
> can do except to call your ISP and ask to have a static IP. (They'll
> most likely either say no or offer to give you a static IP for a price.)

Yeah, they say no.

I can only get a fixed IP if I change technologies to ADSL / SHDSL in
Australia.  For now at least I have to stay with cable since I still
have time on my contract.

I just thought that there was a way to refuse to take a certain
IPaddress and thereby force the server to issue a new one.  However, I
could only see how to reject all responses from a certain server and not
individual IPaddresses.

Thanks.
Mark.