Re: How to request specific IPaddress with DHCP?

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 05:19, mdevin wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a way to try and force the DHCP server for
> your ISP to give you the IPaddress you want?
>
> I am using dhclient as my DHCP client.  Basically, I want to try and
> limit the possibility that my IPaddress will change.  In fact it just
> changed and I want to try and get my old IPaddress back.
>
> Is it possible to get my IPaddress back somehow?  I tried pinging my old
> address and it doesn't seem to have been taken yet.

The only way to consistently get the same address from a DHCP server is
to set up an address lease. Unfortunately, only the person administering
the DHCP server can do that. As a client, there's really not much you
can do except to call your ISP and ask to have a static IP. (They'll
most likely either say no or offer to give you a static IP for a price.)

-Alex