Re: How to request specific IPaddress with DHCP?

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 23:40:00 +1000, Tom Massey wrote:
> * mdevin  [2002-09-21 22:42]:
> > Hmmm, that is interesting.  But how do I change my mac address?  My
> > ethernet card has this hard coded in its chip by the manufacturer.  I
> > can't see how you can override that.  If you did, then the ARP system
> > would break, right?
>
> You can use ifconfig to change the MAC address quite easily on a
> number of cards. You need to bring the interface down first, and
> then the command is something like:
>
> ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:AA:AA:AA:AA
>
> Where eth0 is the interface you want to change and 00:00:AA:AA:AA:AA
> is the MAC address you want to give it. I'm not entirely sure what
> this does to ARP requests, but I think the system is robust enough
> that this doesn't break anything. This doesn't work on all cards,
> and usually the changed address only lasts until the next boot.

Wow!  I didn't know you could do that.  It will be interesting to see if
I can make my ISP give me the IP address I want.  I have just gotten my
domain name servers updated again so I won't try it now.  But next time
they change my IP address, I am going to try this approach.

Thanks for the info.
Mark.