Re: Why do I need to be a %^#$# programmer to use Linux?

nate <debian-user@aphroland.org> [2002-09-19 16:44:27 -0700]:
> as someone else pointed out you can redirect the output which is the
> easiest method, I do it this way:
>
> rpm --rebuild filename.src.rpm >&/tmp/rebuild.log
>
> (you won't see anything on the screen until the command completes)

If you want to see the output as it runs you can use 'tee'

  rpm --rebuild filename.src.rpm 2>&1 | tee /tmp/rebuild.log

The '| tee file' behavior should be pretty obvious.  The '2>&1' takes
the error output on file 2 and attaches it to normal output on 1 so
that both are sent to the pipe.  This is a common shell idiom that you
should find useful often.  This way you get to see everything and the
file gets a copy of everything.

Bob