Re: How to get $DISPLAY

Bill Wagner said:

> I have the xbase-clients package installed, but that doesn't seem to be
> the piece of the puzzle that I'm missing:
>
> ---
> # dpkg -l |grep xbase
> rc  xbase-clients  4.1.0-16       miscellaneous X clients

you THINK you have it installed but it is not :) (glad you posted the
output). the first 2 letters rc means the package is removed but the
configuration files are still there(which can be removed with dpkg --purge)

> Do you have xauth on your system?  I'm running testing/unstable right
> now, but I don't even know if this is what's needed in Debian to get
> $DISPLAY.  If you do have xauth somewhere on your box, could you do a
> 'dpkg -S /path/to/xauth' and tell me what package owns it?

yes I do have xauth(and from a check, xauth is included in xbase-clients
at least in debian stable)

so I reccomend reinstalling xbase-clients, it may work after that

good luck!

nate