Re: Kernel Panic: How to tell what happened?

On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 05:00, Mariano Kamp wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am using 2.4.18 ...
>
>   I took the instructions to compile a kernel from a mail from the list:
>
>     cd /usr/src/linux
>     make-kpkg clean
>     make-kpkg -config=x --revision=vaio316g kernel_image
>     dpkg -i /usr/src/kernel-image-2.4.18_vaio316g_i386.deb
>     I am then prompted that there are already modules -> 0k, don't
> stop,  make boot disk ->  nope, run lilo -> yes, please-
>
>   After rebooting I get th kernel panic.

You dont have the panic? And from my experience 2.4.18 is pretty
stable.  Can you find it at all in dmesg or /var/log/*  If this is a
debian packaged version you might need a initrd.  Also if you compiled
your own kernel and made your file system a module this could also cause
a panic.  It should say something about not being able to find or
possibly mount the root file system.  Other than that, are you sure your
using the proper kernel for your subarch?