Re: MIME problem displaying .dvi.gz files in Galeon/Mozilla

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 09:04:31PM -0500, Mark Roach wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 05:12:23PM -0600, Tom Schutter wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I click on a .dvi.gz file in Galeon (or Mozilla), I get a dialog
> > asking what I want to do with the file.  But in that dialog, the file
> > is identified as a application/gzip file, not a .dvi file.
>
> that is probably because it _is_ a gzip file. download it and run
> 	gzip -d filename.dvi.gz
>
> This is similar to .zip files.  If you zip a file, you must unzip it to
> use it.

In all fairness, this gzip file thing from webservers and browsers has
been a mess for some time.  It's particularly annoying because Debian
gzip's all these doc files as a matter of policy.  So, accessing them
via a web browser is always an inconsistent pain.  Old Netscrape used
to automatically gunzip files, while new Mozilla doesn't.  And the
behavior varies depending on the mime-type reported by the web server
and whether the browser tries to apply its own mime-type heuristics.
End result: You have to copy files already on your hard drive to
uncompress and read them.  Not exactly the pinnacle of convenience;
especially when trying to wade through all the texmf docs...

--
begin 664 .signature
M<F5L;&E-("Y'(&-I<D4@/G1E;BYS<&I`,FUG93P)"`@("`@("`@("`@("`@(