Kernel Panic: How to tell what happened?

Hi,

  my new kernel produces kernel panics. Beeing a newbie I am a bit stuck
here. It is happening very quickly, so I guessed that it has something
to do with not able to mount a filesystem and was randomly selecting and
deselecting ide options with not much succes.

  I also greped /var/log/* for "panic", with not much success.

  Is there anything I can do to pause the screen or set it to output
linewise with confirmation for each line? Currently I cannot even use
Shift+PgUp to see what happened.

  The last thin I see is:
Process Swapper(pid:1) ...
Stack: blabla
Call Trace: blabla
Code: blabla
<0>Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

Any ideas?

Mariano