Re: Why do I need to be a %^#$# programmer to use Linux?

"deFreese, Barry" <Barry.deFreese@nike.com> wrote on 14/09/2002 (11:20) :
> documentation talks about RedHat).  Eventually I want to try all of the
> distros (or at least SuSe, Mandrak, Gentoo, and Slackware) but I had good
> luck getting Debian running on the Mac so that was part of the reason I used
> it as well.

Note that Slackware requires a lot from the user. I mean you really have
to sit down and learn a lot so if you want this do it as the last. I
remember in the old days (1994) I started with slackware. One could
download discs and I was sitting disc swapping for some hours to get
things installed. Now I experience the same with Debian only that I'm CD
swapping as I don't have a net at home :-). After slackware I jumped to
Redhat and used it for some time then finally to Debian and I have never
looked back.

But I recommend strongly that if you get into problems that you go to
google groups and try searching a bit there. I don't know how many times
I have found solutions to questions I have by looking there.

--
Preben Randhol
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", Isaac Asimov