Re: Why do I need to be a %^#$# programmer to use Linux?

Preben Randhol said:

> Note that Slackware requires a lot from the user. I mean you really have
> to sit down and learn a lot so if you want this do it as the last. I
> remember in the old days (1994) I started with slackware. One could

I actually reccomend slackware to people who want to really get into
linux because of this reason. I started with it back in 1996 with
slackware 3.0 I think it was, I chose it specifically over redhat
because people told me it was more difficult to work with. And over
the next 2 years of using it I learned so much I can't imagine..
from building kernels to building libc, to building xfree86 to
all kinds of crazy stuff. I never upgraded my slackware by the
official methods it was always compiling individual packages(I didn't
know any better i suppose back then).

a lot of that spilled over to when I started using debian 2.0 in
1998, by 2000 I had hundreds of software packages on my debian 2.1
system that it would've been impossible to upgrade to 2.2 smoothly
so I just started fresh..good expereinces though.

nate