Re: Shutting postgres up

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 17:27, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> I upgraded postgres yesterday in response to the recent security
> advisory, forgetting that the default install spews hundreds of DEBUG
> messages to the log each night, describing its maintenance routine in
> excruciating detail.  I had managed to turn them off on my previous
> version, but they're back and I haven't been able to re-find the
> information on how to get rid of them.
>
> What do I have to do to make postgres run quietly, preferably in a
> manner which will survive future upgrades?

Tell syslog not to log debug messages, at least from LOCAL0 (or wherever
else it is set in postgresql.conf).

Or tell postgresql not to report so much (again in
/etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf); see the docs: Administrator's Guide,
section 3.4.2.

If you change postgresql.conf, send the postmaster a SIGHUP to have it
read the file again, or do `/etc/init.d/postgresql reload'.

Isle of Wight, UK
http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver
     "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are
      your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens
      are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than
      your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."
                               Isaiah 55:8,9