Shutting postgres up

I upgraded postgres yesterday in response to the recent security
advisory, forgetting that the default install spews hundreds of DEBUG
messages to the log each night, describing its maintenance routine in
excruciating detail.  I had managed to turn them off on my previous
version, but they're back and I haven't been able to re-find the
information on how to get rid of them.

What do I have to do to make postgres run quietly, preferably in a
manner which will survive future upgrades?

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss