Re: Dselect wont show installed programs

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 01:46:22AM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> ...... Some packages are rather
> crippled if you don't install their Recommended: packages, and it's
> usually not at all obvious why some functionality is missing.  In most
> cases, you really want to install all Recommended: packages, and you
> should consider installing Suggested: packages.

Never noticed that to be honest, but as I said, I don't rely on
apt-get to get some functionality working, but rather packages I
believe that should to the trick.

> > As I understand it, apt-get will make sure that any piece of
> > software just works.
> Not necessarily.  apt-get can't always do a very good job of dependency
> resolution.  It can be pretty easy to get your system into a broken
> state that's tough to fix with apt-get alone, especially if you track
> unstable.

That is a reason to seriously consider changing my ways. When I
install something from other than stable I use foo-pkg/release.
Before that, I used to add the -t release flag. That has resulted in
a few unwanted upgrades in the past that made tracking a bitch. I
thought I conquered that. I should think again, right?

> Also, apt-get tends to be too quiet.  For example, it may decide
> to hold back a whole bunch of packages without giving the user any hints
> as to why.
> apt-get is useful for times when you know exactly what package you want
> to install.  However, it's a rather inadequate for tracking updates to
> continuously-changing distributions.

Okay, being a bonehead I never even considered using any of the
alternatives. Given your insight in my psyche, what would you
Recommend or Suggest for me to try? Can you also mention a few pkgs
that are likely to be troublesome when apt-get is used in favour of
an alternative. I am now ready to use a test-system to learn
about the intricacies of tracking and keeping a system up to date.

Having said that, I still believe I am rather uncomfortable with a
packaging system issuing recommendations and suggestions. I am not
completely misguided when I mainly trust on dependency and perhaps
the package description?

> --
> People said I was dumb, but I proved them!

Generally I don't even notice sigs, but in this case:
People said I was stubborn, but I proved them!

Thanks for taking the time for this rehabilitation.

Bob