Dselect wont show installed programs

This is my first time using dselect to install debian.
I did install X and all the necesary components, but
it went horrible and it didnt work, so I decided to
install it by hand. When I went to dselect to unistall
the software I never saw any of the X components I had
installed so I could mark them for removal. Why is
this the case? Also, why dint I find programs like
startx and X86COnfig once i installed debian though
dselect? I would appreciate your help.

  Thanks a lot, Roberto.