From: Keith Robinson [mailto:kar@foomonster.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 6:59 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: [OFF TOPIC] majordomo and exim

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:47:11AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
 > On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:33:43AM +0100, Keith Robinson wrote:  > >
On a side matter, why is majordomo not part of the debian distro?  >
 > It had to be removed:
 >
 >   http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce-00/msg00007.html

 Wasn't aware of majordomo 1s security issues, but I'd guessed it was a
licensing thing.

 > Majordomo 2 could probably be packaged (apparently it shares no code
> with Majordomo 1 and has a more sensible licence), but nobody's done
it  > yet.  >
 > > I looked through the packages and saw mailman, which I guess is
more  > > the default mailing list software for debian.  >
 > "Default" is a fairly meaningless concept here. :)

 Yes, I guess I just meant "the debain way".

 > > Is it better than majordomo?
 >
 > It's a contentious issue.

 Perhaps a little less contentious would be: what is people's preferred
mailing list management software (and why)?  I'd be interested to know.
I just went the majordomo route because I'd heard of it previously and
thought I'd give it a go.  Not exactly a decision based on science, but
hey...

Cheers,

Keith