Re: Ongoing saga of upgrading my old Woody

[By the way, no need to cc me on mailing list posts.]

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 11:09:31PM -0400, David Teague wrote:
> David wrote:
> > > I ran dpkg -l, dpkg --audit, got a  bus error
>
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Colin Watson wrote:
>
> > I'd be rather concerned about that last one. Are you sure you haven't
> > got disk corruption or memory problems? An I/O error points to the
> > former. Can you 'less /var/lib/dpkg/status' and scroll down to the end
> > without errors?
>
> Nope, I get wierd stuff when I try that. I just checked, I get a read
> error, and sum fails with an i/o error.
>
> Someone suggested removing it and trying again. I think I'll back up
> my data some place else and reboot, then fsck the disk.

That sounds like a good idea to me. I wouldn't actually remove
/var/lib/dpkg/status until you've run fsck, but it may turn out to be
dead. In that case, there should be a recent backup in
/var/lib/dpkg/status-old and older backups in
/var/backups/dpkg.status.*, some of which may turn out to be usable.