Re: Ongoing saga of upgrading my old Woody

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 03:07:59PM -0400, David Teague wrote:
> elentari:~# apt-get dist-upgrade || apt-get -f install
> Reading Package Lists... Error!
> E: Read error - read (5 Input/output error)
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> Reading Package Lists... Error!
> E: Read error - read (5 Input/output error)
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> elentari:~#
>

> I ran dpkg -l, dpkg --audit, got a  bus error

I'd be rather concerned about that last one. Are you sure you haven't
got disk corruption or memory problems? An I/O error points to the
former. Can you 'less /var/lib/dpkg/status' and scroll down to the end
without errors?

I'm fishing here, but you might want to try to strace something that's
giving this bus error and see where it's breaking.