Re: Linux in Universities

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 18:48, Dan Kegel wrote:

> I've put together a resource page re "Linux in Universities"
> at http://www.kegel.com/linux/edu/

Federal Institute of Technology in Zürich, Switzerland
 - has several computer labs (generally accessible to students) with
various Linux distributions (mainly RH and Debian).
 - offers Laptops pre-installed with Linux/Windows dual boot
preinstalled (dunno what Linux, though; and the main point here is that
they offer Laptop hardware at relatively good prices).
 - there is debian.ethz.ch (but I doubt it's an official mirror. It's
open from the outside, though).

The non-Linux systems are mainly Solaris, Windows, MacOS, with
practically every OS that ever was around is probably still running on a
box somewhere (they got rid of quite a few oddities over the last years,
though, so it's not as diverse as it was).

David P James <dpjames@rogers.com>:
> difficulty, I guess, is that to have the workstations of undergrads
> being linux-based would entail some additional amount of support that
> the department really can't provide, even though I am sure they would
> like to be able to. Just training students to mount and unmount a
> floppy for instance, as we use floppies for data storage quite a bit.
> Not a big task, but nevertheless, who is going to do it?

Hmmm, in my experience, students helping each other works good enough.
When people start at the Federal Institute, almost nobody knows anything
about unix, let alone Solaris. People still manage to learn the basics
of how to work on a Sun workstation soon enough - after all, there's an
older student sitting at the machine next to yours, so you can pester
him with questions. And there's also a student paid as a helpdesk person
in most computer room, so you can always ask that one.

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                           http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

NOTICE: subkey signature! request key 92082481 from keyserver.kjsl.com