Re: Linux in Universities

Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 18:48, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
> > I've put together a resource page re "Linux in Universities"
> > at http://www.kegel.com/linux/edu/
>
> Federal Institute of Technology in Zürich, Switzerland
>  - has several computer labs (generally accessible to students) with
> various Linux distributions (mainly RH and Debian).
>  - offers Laptops pre-installed with Linux/Windows dual boot
> preinstalled (dunno what Linux, though; and the main point here is that
> they offer Laptop hardware at relatively good prices).

Found it:
http://www.id.ethz.ch/Dienste/Laptopverleih/Angebot.html
They offer Linux on request, but no support.
(Amusingly, the English page says they have no laptops for sale.)
That ought to be helpful, thanks!

Official Linux support looks thin.
e.g. http://n.ethz.ch/index_neu.html says
they're cutting off wireless LAN access to the
internet unless you use their VLAN, and they only support
Windows and MacOSX.
And the FAQ at http://computing.ee.ethz.ch/faq/ hardly mentions Linux.

> > ... Just training students to mount and unmount a
> > floppy for instance, as we use floppies for data storage quite a bit.
> > Not a big task, but nevertheless, who is going to do it?
>
> Hmmm, in my experience, students helping each other works good enough.
> When people start at the Federal Institute, almost nobody knows anything
> about unix, let alone Solaris. People still manage to learn the basics
> of how to work on a Sun workstation soon enough - after all, there's an
> older student sitting at the machine next to yours, so you can pester
> him with questions. And there's also a student paid as a helpdesk person
> in most computer room, so you can always ask that one.

That's all true, but for real widespread deployment of Linux
we probably need to better, and help those who can't help
themselves.

- Dan