Re: How to make kernel-modules-<version>.deb?

Claudio Bley wrote:

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 19:15, Eric Richardson wrote:

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

Hi,

"Eric" == Eric Richardson <eric.richardson@milagrosoft.com> writes:

Eric> I've been able to to use make-kpkg kernel-image to create a custom
Eric> kernel .deb file from a kernel source package. All the modules are
Eric> compiled and I tried make-kpkg modules-image but no deb file gets
Eric> created. How do I create the modules deb file?

	What moduls.deb file? Do you have stand alone modules packages
installed? Which modules packages are these? The modules you
designated that come with the kernel are part of the kernel imagfe
deb itself.

Hi Manoj,

I guess I'm totally confused. When I upgraded to 2.4.18, I had to install the kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18 so I guess I'm thinking of this.

So let me see if I got this correct. Installing the kernel-image I created will install the modules compiled in /lib/modules/<version>. This of course are not the modules I chose to compile into the kernel.

Also, not sure why I get what seems to be an error when I do a make-kpkg

modules_image. See end of message. What is that command suppose to do? How do I include the pcmcia modules or is this a seperate think I need to make a deb for?

Install the pcmcia-source package. Then, go to /usr/src and 'tar xvzf pcmcia-cs.tar.gz'. Go into your kernel source directory and run
'make-kpkg -rev k6.1 modules_image'.

Btw, this is not an error you've seen before, there's just nothing to do
because you haven't unpacked any sources into the /usr/src/modules
directory.

I see now that I really didn't need the pcmcia modules as the new kernel uses yenta and normal net drivers which are included with the kernel source. Since I installed 2.4.18 version of the pcmcia utilites I really didn't need to compile the pcmcia package for the 2.4.7 timesys kernel. I did need to configure CONFIG_FILTER to get dhclient to work and make sure CONFIG_PCMCIA and CONFIG_CARDBUS where selected. Running dhclient-2.2.x eth0 gave me the clue as it said to make sure that CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are included in the kernel. dhclient normally calls dhclient-2.2.x with a -q option which suppresses the output. Now pcmcia networking works!!

Just learning so I appreciate all the help.

Eric