How to clone/copy SanDisk 1.2G flash disk as soon as it is inserted?

Hi,

We are using this card in manufacturing a product. Currently, the card is used by an embedded application and the information on the card is setup by the embedded hardware during the manufacturing process. We would like to take a flashdisk that has already been setup by the hardware, and clone/copy it.

I have been able to do this on a Debian machine using the dd command to copy the contents of the flashdisk (using its raw memory interface) onto a hard disk and then copy it back to another card. It takes about 25 min. to write a flashcard from the hard disk this way. I used the following command: dd if=/dev/hde of=diskimage (I didn't know what block size to use so I didn't use one)

I'm always trying to find ways of using Linux around here so this may be a good job for it. Is there an easy way to make a script or something that would display the progress of the copy so the user would know the status of the copying? I don't think people on the manufacturing line are going to like doing a dd command and then just watching it sit there. Any ideas how to make/do this better? I'm sure my boss will want me to find something for Windows to do this but I've looked and I can't find anything.

When I use the Linux machine to copy the flashdisk .... I can't look at the contents of the disk and I cannot read the partition information, all I can do is use the dd command to make a byte-for-byte copy ..... which works!

We are using the 1.2GB Flashdisk part number SDP3B-1280-101-50.

I'd also like to be able to start the copying process as soon as the flashdisk is inserted. Can someone point me in the right direction to be able to do that?

We would also like to build a machine that has several PCMCIA interfaces in it so we can write several cards at once. How many of these interfaces can I put in a machine and how could I determine the optimal number of flashcards to do at one time? I'm sure at some point writing multiple cards at once will take longer instead of it being faster .... I need to be able to determine the "sweet spot". The SanDisk documentation says something about a 16-20MBytes per second burst throughput although it took me about 25 min. to copy the image to/from hard disk on a PIII 750. Would a faster machine be needed to do this type of job?

I'm sure that is enough questions.

I love Debian 3.0!  I have it everywhere.  It Rocks!

Thanks,

Brian