Re: Why mailing-lists? Usenet have been invented, I hear. ;-)

On Monday 09 September 2002 08:32 pm, Jerry Gaiser wrote:
> This is the third time I've subscribed to debian-user. Each time I leave
> in disgust because of the attitude of a few posters. Debian is *not* the
> easiest distribution to install, but some of you folks are not helping
> your cause.

There are a few posters that have had *enough* and you can tell.  Ever walk
into a busy federal or state office and meet someone who has dealt with the
very same issue you will confront them with for the 10^6 time?  It happens,
people get snappy, it happens.  Still, if you really want to solve your
issue, you grin and deal with it.

> I've been a linux user since 0.12, so I'm hardly a newbie. But each
> distribution has it's own peculiarities and I continue to try to
> understand debian's as I suspect a lot of new users are. I don't post
> because I've got a pretty good handle on Unix in general and Linux in
> particular, but you've got people new to unix and new to linux with
> valid questions and valid comments and what do they get?? -- A lot of
> 'Fuck Off'. Great PR.

I have been on this list for about 5 years, and I don't think I have ever
seen one instance of "Fuck Off."  I have heard many people advise others to
go away, but never actually as blunt or blatant as that.

> I hope to be around for a while longer. I truly like the non-commercial
> aspects of debian and I'd love to make it my distribution. I've got
> woody cd's on the way and I'll try again to create a system that's to my
> liking and hopefully pull some more information from this list. If not,
> I'll go back to the distributions that work (for me).

I hope you do stick around.  This is a great list and there are also some
great posters!  You sound like a Debian natural already.  Welcome home!

> Hey, I know.. Don't the the door hit me in the butt. But if you guys
> want debian to be something more than it is, some of you who provide
> support need to take a break and understand that everyone doesn't
> understand Linux/debian the way you do and try to provide *real*
> support.

The reply of "don't let the door smack your butt" is generally reserved for
individuals that clearly are out for vengeance while in a persuit of anger
venting.  I don't want to confront a redfaced moronic maniac either.

I hope your install is smooth and the system purrs just the way you want it
to!  If it doesn't, I'll (and others will) still be happy to help if I (we)
can via the list.

gl

tatah
- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!