Re: Woody 'problems'

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:50:43AM +0100, john gennard wrote:
> Yesterday I installed Woody on the second box. Can't access the 'net
> and wvdial (configured during installation) won't work either. This
> time error messages point to permissions. OK, I understand those to
> some extent, so let's have a look at 'ls -l /etc/wvdial.conf'. It
> shows something I've never seen before and certainly don't
> understand:-
>
> Arley:/home/john# ls -l /etc/wvdial.conf
> --w------T    1 root     root   209 Aug 27 14:07 /etc/wvdial.conf
>
> checking the first box, I get:-
>
> --w----r-T    1 root     root    199 Aug 22 22:39 /etc/wvdial.conf
>
> I can reconfigure by hand and hopefully sort out my access problems
> (I still have Potato on all boxes), but I'd like to know what the 'T'
> signifies and why the other permissions come out as they do when I
> use the install/config approach.

That's a very strange set of permissions by any standards, and actually
it's a bug in wvdial, #153857. The 'T' means that the file has the
sticky bit set but is not executable, which is not something I've ever
seen used in real life.

'chmod 0640 /etc/wvdial.conf' will get you something a little more sane.

> I'm starting to wonder if my set of 7 CD's may be faulty in view of
> the minor problems I'm having. The installs go very smoothly so any
> faults must be minor ones.

Regrettably at least this one is just a bug in the distribution. :(

Cheers,