Re: Woody 'problems'

On Sunday 25 August 2002 18:32, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-08-25 at 17:35, john gennard wrote:
> > But I haven't upgraded to XF86Config-4 as yet. I've stayed with
> > the 2.2.20 kernel.
>
> Kernel version and X version (to which /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> belongs to) have nothing to do with each other. What does 'dpkg
> -l|grep xfree' say? Also, XFree86 is at version 4.1 in woody.

It says 'xfree86-common 4.1.0-16'.
What led me astray here is that 'dpkg -l' told me that both
'xserver-common 4.1.0-16' and '3.3.6-44' were installed, but only
'xserver-svga 3.3.6-44' . Clearly at some time I'll have to look
into the X system.

> > > Do you have etherconf installed? dpkg-reconfigure says this
> > > even if the package is not installed at all.
> >
> > This I don't know. What package is it in?
>
> Package name is simply etherconf. Also, it is in all releases:
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=eth
>erconf&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all

Before your response came, I'd installed etherconf.
'apt-cache showpkg' etc. denied it was available and as I was
blundering around trying things, I tried 'apt-get install' and this
found it - another package was required, from memory 'libconfhelper'.
I don't understand why, but I've now got it.

> What does 'dpkg -l etherconf' say?
>
> > I've put all seven Woody
> > CD's into /etc/apt/sources.list, and 'apt-cache show etherconf'
> > gives the response 'unable to locate package etherconf'. What am
> > I failing to understand?
>
> No idea. Did you apt-get update after adding package sources? For
> me it's there:

No, because I created the sources.list during the actual
installation.

> mario@sonic:~$ apt-cache search etherconf
> etherconf - debconf interface to Ethernet device configuration
> mario@sonic:~$
>
> This is my sources.list (no CD sources though):

[snip]

Thank you for all your interest. At well into my seventies and with
no scientific background it can be hard going at times, but it's
always interesting and largely satisfying (frustrations apart).
Sod's law should be rewritten - the more one learns, the more one
realises how much more there is to learn.

regards,

john.