Re: Woody 'problems'

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 11:07, john gennard wrote:

> What led me astray here is that 'dpkg -l' told me that both
> 'xserver-common 4.1.0-16' and '3.3.6-44' were installed

See the reply by Colin Watson

> Before your response came, I'd installed etherconf.
> 'apt-cache showpkg' etc. denied it was available and as I was
> blundering around trying things, I tried 'apt-get install' and this
> found it

Strange, shouldn't happen

> - another package was required, from memory 'libconfhelper'.
> I don't understand why, but I've now got it.

'apt-cache show libconfhelper-perl' gives:
 Library to make editing configuration files easier.
 It provides functions to deal with configuration files in chunks,
 allowing nice co-existence with users and other programs on the system.
 It was written specifically for use with DebConf scripts."

So, it provides stuff :)

> At well into my seventies

You rock :)

> it can be hard going at times